Friday, April 15, 2005

ENV: Not-really-a-Cat-Friday

I guess i need to explain myself to my friends who don't get this weekly thing of mine. There is a blog addiction where bloggers post weekly pictures of their cats on Fridays. Check out the Carnival of Cats and the Friday Ark posts at The Modulator.

I guess a LOT of bloggers have cats. Is that some commentary on the social regimes of bloggers?

Anyway, i don't have cats. I don't have A cat. I don't really want a cat. I like cats as long as they belong to other people.

I do like jaguarundis, ocelots, pumas (cougars, panthers, mountain lions or whatever you wanna call them), jaguars, bobcats and assorted wild felines (the ones listed are native to Texas, of course) -- and the huge collection of snow leopards at the San Antonio Zoo (i know, i know, but when is my fat self going to climb the Himalayas?).

Anyway, since i have no cats, i post some other not-really-a-cat as my cat on Fridays. The Modulator compiles the non-cats as well as the cats, so we get a nice link and some surfers coming to check it out.

My pictures have included wire-service Philippine Tarsier and Sumatran Orangutans (cause i like primates among other things), and our own homeplace Kinkajou and Red Kangaroo. I plan from now on to feature my critters or local wildlife (which i already post quite a few of) and hope that the cool stuff gets picked up.

So, this week's critter is one that is yet unidentified (i'll fix it when possible).

Travis Tidwell, a student from the University of Texas, was here yesterday to continue his work on the life history of Comanche Dancer (Argia barretti), a bright blue damselfly that lives on the river here. While he was netting for larva he pulled up a couple larvae of a Macromiid dragonfly. Well, that's a critter i've never yet seen in the county, so i took pictures for documentation.

The youngsters are now in the lab at UT awaiting specific determination by the venerable Odonatologist and larval identifier Dr. John Abbott, who will then inform me of their identity. Until then the best i can do is label this dude as a Cruiser in the genus Macromia.

And it's the biggest danged odonate larva i've seen. I also got some serious film of it for my documentary Ode to a River.







Cruiser species, Macromia sp.
Rio Vista, Kerr County, Texas, 14 April 2005


Some other critters from yesterday . . .





unidentified white moth sp.
backlit above, with flash below
Rio Vista, Kerr County, Texas, 14 April 2005


unidentified green moth sp.
backlit above, with flash below
Rio Vista, Kerr County, Texas, 14 April 2005



an oddly patterned Kiowa Dancer, Argia immunda
Rio Vista, Kerr County, Texas, 14 April 2005





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home