Wednesday, August 03, 2005

COM: Blogarithmic #2

I'd be most concerned about the high tech notice they put up . . .

Okay, it's a big day. Some liberal bloggers are being slapped around, and rightfully so, for jumping on a bandwagon that has no wheels. I'd apologize myself, because i think that taking the high road is what we ought to be about. However, the other side of the blogosphere is so shrill that i don't care to be their accidental apologist. So just know that one/some of us can admit our mistakes, admit when we're wrong, and are ready to move on.

This Conservative Blog Taxonomy at Fables of the Reconstruction has been floating around densely also, and has caused me to drop some folks from the blogroll -- folks that i considered moderate who have lately taken a wider fork in the road. Thanks to Pharyngula.

Pharyngula also is congratulating blogs incensed by the Moron-in-Chief's advocacy of teaching ID in the schools under the guise of science. History will laugh at this era in our country. What to name it -- the post-Intellectual Redumbing of America? The Moronaissance? The Great Striving for Mediocrity? Or just the Bush League Era?

And of the many bloggers commenting on this, i particularly like the snark at Science and Sarcasm.

As a confirmed molluscophile, i was intrigued by PZ's posting about eating live octopus tentacles. He quotes deep end dining:

In every scenario I played out in my imagination as far as eating this dish was
concerned, I predicted nothing more than a brief slimy struggle then stillness —
the last words of an insignificant creature low on the food chain. Silly me. I
could not have underestimated my dinner more because once in my mouth, the
tentacle went into attack mode and aggressively suctioned on to my teeth, tongue
and bottom lip making it nearly impossible for me to manipulate my mouth in
order to eat it. My dinner was instinctively trying to preserve its own life
while attempting to take mine by asphyxiating me. Needless to say, I was just a
little mortified by all this. It was—how would you call it—*bleepin’* freaky!!!
And if that wasn’t enough, the tentacle then launched phase two of Operation
Indigestion and began to whip itself about in a frenzy like it was krump
dancing. In my mouth was the mollusk version of the Tasmanian Devil, ferociously flaying at the roof of my mouth and gums. I could not believe it. The
little shit was kind of hurting me. Immediately, I snapped out of the absolute
stunned trauma of having to fight with my food and attempted to regain control
of the situation. Overpowering the tentacle with my tongue and with a little
assist from my fingers, I pried the wicked thing from my gums and teeth. At last
the tentacle became vulnerable to my molars. Without hesitating, I bit hard on
it over and over and over again while mumbling “Die! Die! Die!” Before it could
resurrect itself and do a surprise attack like some slasher movie villain, I
swallowed deeply and gulped it down. “Get in my belly!” I gasped.

The dust finally settled. After all that, how does live octopus tentacle taste? A
little like fury fused with fear. Spicy and garlicky because of the sauce. There
is no aftertaste but there are aftereffects. (Just don’t think about what the
tentacle might be doing in your stomach.) It certainly doesn’t taste like cooked
squid and nowhere near fried calamari. It’s almost completely devoid of flavor.
Texturally it’s highly viscous, more resembling mucous. As far as attitude, it’s
the meanest and rudest piece of food I have ever brawled with. And this was only
the first piece.
And then, via Clicked, at are the official Rules for Calling Shotgun.

A brutally sad story, from Unscrewing the Inscrutable via Pharyngula.

For some time there have been pictures floating about of what appear to be thugs in Nigeria with chained Hyaenas. Now, because of a lightly worded essay and the photos of a professional, Pieter Hugo, i wonder if the photos tell the whole story. Check these out here, while i go search Snopes. via Clicked. Whoops, no hit on Snopes. . .

And another Innocence Project victory . . .

This bike was said to be doing 155 mph. I hit 148 once, in a Challenger R/T, but that's a story for another time. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home