Monday, February 12, 2007

COM: Blogarithmic #214

Picked up an odd rehab bird yesterday. It's an African bird, a Silvery-cheeked Hornbill, Bycanistes brevis. It was found flying loose near Wimberley on Lynne Schaffer's place. Luckily she knows birds, knew it wasn't native, and lured it into her garage with a banana. Betty Pollard and Maggie Broyles took the bird in and searched high and low for an owner, without luck. So, after a couple weeks in rehab, and with no place to go, it came to me. It's a big, gorgeous bird, with a bite. It got hold of my arm through a heavy coat and nearly brought me to my knees. It also got a finger once, and as i was watching it clamp down all i could think was "i'm going to lose this finger." I imagine that's what it feels like to have a bolt-cutter at work on you. Luckily i still have my finger, blue, blistered and numb, but i have it. Thanks much to these three fine ladies for doing such a great job with the bird. It's in my aviary now, and will be looking for a permanent home with other Silvery-cheeks. For now here's some pictures of "Billy." Click on the picture for up close and personal.





Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home