Friday, July 24, 2009

ATH: USA 2 Honduras 0


Gold Cup: Honduras 0 - USA 2

The United States advanced to the 2009 Gold Cup Final, dominating the offense against Honduras in Chicago on Thursday. Clarence Goodson got the first goal of the game in first-half stoppage time and Kenny Cooper added the second in the 90th, minutes after coming on for Davy Arnaud. Stuart Holden assisted on both goals.

"Anytime I'm on the field I want to impress and I want to win," Holden said. "I'm a competitor and anything I can do to help the team win goes a long way. I'm confident, and feeling good and the guys around me are doing a good job finishing balls off. It's been an all around team effort from the first game until tonight."

With the USA taking advantage in all the offensive categories, the defense did their job. Carlos Costly did everything but score in the 85th, having two shots blocked in the US box. Jay Heaps experienced similar at the other end minutes later when his chance was stopped on the line.

US National Team coach Bob Bradley addressed adding players for the Final, saying: “I think that everyone came out of this match OK, and if that’s true than the 18 that we have will be the 18 for the final. We would only need to go deeper into the roster if there are some injuries that we don’t know about at this time."

Late game winners Mexico got past Costa Rica on penalties, setting up a USA - Mexico Final Sunday at Giants Stadium (3pm - FSC).

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home