Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Really nice article about me in the KDT

A true Renaissance man
Tony Gallucci has varied interests and talents, but it’s his
passion for others that makes him vital to the community

By Peter McCrady, Kerrville Daily Times Staff Writer, June 22, 2011

Hidden behind mountains of papers, computer towers and media equipment in his office at the Hill Country Youth Ranch, you might be able to find Tony Gallucci, if you’re lucky. The organized chaos of his office only shows a fraction of his busy life in the community.

“I could use some sleep now and then, but I hate wasting a second of time,” Gallucci joked as he turned on some tunes from a band he had discovered.

Gallucci works in media and publications for the youth ranch, but his job doesn’t stop there.
“I do what needs doing,” Gallucci said. “I can’t tell people ‘no.’ That’s one of my great failings. Not being able to say ‘forget it.’”

“When I work with the kids though, I’m normally doing something with fine arts.”

Just a few of his endeavors at the youth ranch include theater productions based on the kids’ poetry and music videos. Gallucci also teaches at the Playhouse Academy, owns Milk River Film productions, is a founder of the Guadalupe Stage Quartet and is a photographer.

“I just do things,” Gallucci said. “I don’t pick out a role and then try to fulfill it. It’s a good feeling that the community gains something from what I do. I wish the whole world was like that.

“I think we’re at our best when we’re doing for others. The selfish end of this is I dn’t do things unless I feel good about doing them.”

It is the idea of doing for others that drives Gallucci in his various projects. But the notion took a lifetime to develop. Gallucci said he had an idea when he was younger that he wanted to live forever.

He thought to achieve that goal he had to leave something behind. It created an obsession in him that he had to be the best at everything he did.

“I wanted this lasting thing, and somewhere along the line, I realized even if I were to . . . get famous or be known for those things, that all I was leaving behind was something that was inanimate,” Gallucci said. “It was just a piece of me, and I’m not sure that piece of me was of value to anyone else.”

After this epiphany, Gallucci decided the way to live forever was to give something someone else might be able to use that might have an effect on their life. Gallucci believes this approach has two benefits — the enrichment of those he works with and the enrichment of his own life.

“I’m not sure exactly how it turned into troubled kids, but that’s the direction it took,” he said. “I think maybe because there’s some kind of subliminal empathy going on, I connect with them.”

It’s the connections Gallucci makes with the community that have kept him in the area.
“I have to work with people. I love being outdoors, but I can’t be away from people,” he said. “And it’s the people that have kept me around here. I would love to live in Austin, but I just can’t leave the people here.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home